Friday, September 5, 2008

PNG Bilums

Some of my friends here in the United States wanted to purchase bilums of similar kind or pattern shown below. I would appreciate if someone knows where I can grab couple these. I know they sell them at the airport, markets, and on the streets but I want it from one person who has the same patterns or designs. Please, let me know if you know of anyone of your friends. I will be in PNG from September 21st - November 16th, 2008. You can email me with more information. I appreciate your help/comments/suggestions, etc...






Again, thanks a bunch.
David Ketepa

Labels:

4 Comments:

At September 7, 2008 at 2:21 AM , Anonymous Robert@PNG said...

Hi David,

Hope you are well!

Funny you should ask about bilums - I was at the Highlands Cultural Center at Kainantu this afternoon and apart from locally made pottery they also have a healthy collection of bilums (many similar to the ones you display in the photos).

I spoke with the manager and he mentioned that all bilums are sold on behalf of the women that made them.

If you are interested in making contact with the Highlands Cultural Center before coming home - I can email you the manager's name and contact details.

Hear from you shortly.

Cheers,

R

NB: Coming up to Goroka by any chance?

 
At September 8, 2008 at 7:07 PM , Anonymous garamut said...

If you want bilums with the same designs/colours, you're probably better off heading off to a market na painim ol mama.

Han blo ol save wokim kainkain stail...but they sometimes make matching bilums.

Liklik hap toktok tasol,

Kabot,

Tavurvur

 
At September 8, 2008 at 7:23 PM , Anonymous Kange Nga Kona said...

Rob and Kabot appreciate your efforts.

Thanks a bunch.

David

 
At September 11, 2008 at 4:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David,
I can place orders of the exact style and colour.

Also I stumbled onto your blogsite very late and 100% by accident but I'm very pleased I did. Its very informative. I understand you will be here in the next few days


Over to You.
Norma (Kipa) Koroka
MLC Eclesia 3
Living in POM
norma.koroka@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home